Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Everyone needs a hobby

Location: Home Base
Weather: Hotter than he#!
Listening to: Falling Slowly by The Frames
Currently Reading: Marked by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

Winner of the free copy of KATBE: Whitney
***Note: All names were put in a cup and drawn randomly.
I always circulate a few copies of my books to friends and
family because I LOVE feedback and am always looking
to learn and grow as a writer. So, if you weren't selected,
I would still love for you to read it.***

In my opinion, everyone needs a hobby. Something they do for themselves and no one else. Some people are happy without a hobby and to solely focus on their family, friends, work, and children. And that's fine, too. But my hobby is a big part of my life.

Hobbies are fun, too. You get to learn something new, practice it, play with it, mold it into whatever you want. Some are dangerous, some are hard, some are even downright nerve-racking (bungee jumping anyone?).

So... this weekend, I decided to try something new.

My Aunt (who I will refer to as AuntieM) decided to come spend some time with me and my family. It was great fun. We laughed, we ate, we played, we laughed some more. As though that weren't enough, we thought it would be a good idea to put highlights in her hair. I'd done a few weaves before, how hard could it be?

Growing up, everyone always asked me why I never went to beauty school. I was good at hair but never really thought twice about ACTUALLY doing it for a hobby or even a living. So, we took a trip to the store (which later ended up being a few trips), got a box of pizza, searched for my missing ipod but came up empty handed (I still can't find it!), and put on the gloves and started foiling her hair.

BAD IDEA! BAD, BAD, VERY BAD, IDEA!!!

To spare you the brutal details, I ruined her poor hair while verbally assaulting her. I knew it was bad and I wanted to warn her. She decided to write down every comment I made and named it,

"Things You ABSOLUTELY Don't Want to Hear From Your Hairdresser"

1.) Dammit                                                                       
2.) Whoa                                                                        
3.) Shit                                                                           
4.) OHHHHH!                                                               
5.) I shouldn't have done this                                                        
6.) Seriously, this is the worst job I've ever done                                    
7.) This is all your fault                                                     
8.) I feel so bad for you   
9.) Luckily, this piece is in the back
10.) If it looks good, I will be shocked
11.) Please don't look at it
12.) Ohmigosh, poor AuntieM
13.) I apologize in advance
14.) This seriously looks horrific
15.) At least no one will pay attention to your face
                                                        
Yes, I said all that, and yes, she still thought I was kidding. I wasn't. The pretty blond turned an awkward shade of orange and yellow and the deep burgundy was more like pink. (I have pics but AuntieM would KILL me if I introduced them to the Internet!) Now she has to go get her hair professionally fixed. Luckily, she has a sense of humor or else I may not have lived. Let's all just be thankful that I didn't try and cut it! Eek!

The moral of the story is don't EVER let me touch your hair. I think I'm going to stick to the hobby I know and love, WRITING. And AuntieM-- you get a free copy of my book, too.  

I'd love to hear what everyone else's hobbies are! Anyone have a bad experience like mine?

6 comments:

  1. Hahahahahaha. Ooooooooh man. Porr auntieM. I have a couple hobbies- I love to cook, yoga, and my newest favorite hobby is walking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah man! Oh well! All is good. I'm currently reading the Marked series, too. I really liked it but I felt the first book was kind of off. It get's better as you read the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok you just made me laugh soooo hard all over again..That really was a hilarious night. LOVE the post!!!!!! Believe it or not I still love you after having orange and pink hair too.....My hobbies are scrapbooking, sports with my kids, cooking fun things with Zachy and finding treasures at garage sales to redecorate or resell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing to her hair back when you were a wee one, I think like 9? Only it turned canary yellow, and it was her whole head, not just highlights. When dad walked in from work, I tried with wild arm gestures to prevent him from saying anything, but of course, that did not work and he said something pleasant, like "What the hell happened to your hair?' or something equally intelligent. We went back to the beauty supply place and had to ask how to fix it. This must run in the family. I suggest you stick to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you forgot to tell whitney she was the winner. I mentioned it yesterday and she was surprised. She said you didnt tell her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hair turned out wonderful when you did it!!

    ReplyDelete