Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A sneak peak at Kasivia

***Note: This is how the story begins as an epic fantasy, I am in the process of editing it to be an urban fantasy***

I still remember the first secret I ever told. It was when I was eight, the age that children received their pixies, the age of accountability and responsibility. I remember being so excited that I would have made up a secret just to tell my new, pixie, secret keeper. Her name was Brynn and she was beautiful. A brilliant purple path followed her wherever she went making it hard to believe she was real. Brynn smiled and introduced herself in a voice that filled the air with a music I had never heard before. I knew immediately that I could share all my secrets with Brynn. The problem was I didn’t have any.

I sat at my new desk, in my new room, thinking of that very first secret I had shared with Brynn. It seemed almost ironic now. Eight years ago I had gotten into an argument with my Mother and I was so angry that I told Brynn I didn't want to live in my parents boring house anymore. I wanted to go to a live in school and never see either of them again… and here I was.

In the dead center of the island of Kasivia, a short journey away from the shore, resides a safe harbor of great eminence and dignity. It is here that students of all ages are instructed on the etiquette and composition of their world. Although the teachers at this miraculous place do their job well, it is known that they conceal the knowledge on objects of incantation and the extraordinary gifts that some are born with. These objects and gifts are to be hidden, spoken about scarcely and only to those that are trustworthy. Didean Live-In School is the most stunning and terrifying place I have ever seen. It is the place that I now reside.

3 comments:

  1. a great book am excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!! I do hope I win the free copy!! I'm already sucked in Kalina!!

    ReplyDelete